Crocuses On Brunstfield Links

Crocuses On Bruntsfield Links in Edinburgh in February 2012
Crocuses On Bruntsfield Links in Edinburgh

I photographed these today on a large grassy area here in Edinburgh known as the Bruntfield Links.

The Links are adjacent to the Meadows – another large grassy area – and it is a very pleasant walk from the adjoining neighborhoods of Bruntsfield and Marchmont into the center of the City.

The Links and the Meadows are criss-crossed with footpaths with people walking to and fro across the green swathes at all times of the day and evening.

And the Meadows dip gently and then rise again towards the city center, so from Bruntsfield and Marchmont the scene is laid out one green vista.

Many of the people walking are students, so there is none of that sense of urgency that there might be if everyone was hurrying to the office.

It is all very relaxed and pleasant – and in a capital city.

more-crocuses-in-Edinburgh-in-February-2012
More Crocuses In Edinburgh In February 2012

What Lies Beneath

Legend (and perhaps more than legend) has it that the bodies of plague victims were buried under the Links during the Black Death in the 1300s.

They say that this accounts for the hummocky ground, which is why it was here that the game of golf was invented.

Apparently, somewhere on the Links there is a plaque erected by the City of Edinburgh Council stating that the Links was one of the earliest places that golf was played in Scotland.

The Official Line On Golf

So the official claim is that Bruntsfield Links is ‘one of the earliest places’ rather than the precise place where golf was invented, for of course it was in Scotland that the game was first played.

Whichever it is, the crocuses are out in February – testifying to the mild winter this year.

Crocuses On Bruntsfield Links in Edinburgh
Crocuses On Bruntsfield Links in Edinburgh
Crocuses Close Up
Crocuses Close Up

Ecards

Over the next few days we will add some of the photos from today to the Flowers category of our ecards, including this close up shot.

thank you for reading this. if you liked it, please share it.

Comments

1. says

Gorgeous, David. I have to admit that crocuses aren’t as exciting when you live in a warm place like Arizona, but I grew up in Ohio, where we would sometimes see them peeping up out of patches of snow, full of promise. “See! We came back!”

• David Bennett says

Thank you for your comment Vera Marie – it made me realise that I when I think of Arizona, I think of a desert landscape – but I don’t think about the flowers that grow there. Thanks for the prompt!

• David Bennett says

Hi Samuel, I can pretty much guarantee that when I start photographing flowers outside, the wind will pick up. This time I was crouching down on one knee and hovering over the flowers on my haunches – and all the time willing the wind to die down for at least 1/125th of a second ;-)

2. Esther Hecht says

These photographs are stunning. In Israel we’ve got our own display in of wildflowers, especially poppies, even in the groves near our house, and a neighbor who walks her dog there told me there were lots of white crocuses.

• David Bennett says

I can picture it Esther :-)

I love how even in the ‘heyday’ of sprays to suppress wild flowers in fields here in England, red poppies would burst through after years of seemingly having disappeared.

• David Bennett says

Has your winter been mild? Of course, you are in one of the sunniest parts of England – but have you noticed this winter being mild overall?

• says

Not really if I’m being honest, I think this one has been colder than recent years. We’ve had plenty of frost for example. Last weekend was the first to reach double figures and this weekend isn’t as warm as that.

• David Bennett says

It seems like the weather patterns are all over the place. The daffodils here have been out for a couple of weeks but some people much further south are saying theirs are not out yet.

3. says

Really beautiful photos, David. Don’t think I’ve ever seen an entire field of crocuses. After a few mild weeks, we thought spring had come to these northerly parts, but today snow is falling. Looking forward to seeing the first crocuses here. That – and wearing summer shoes.